Our Official Book is Now Available at: http://hardflaccid.org

The information on this website is not intended to be used as medical advice.

Welcome to the Official Hard Flaccid Community Forum

This is a place for people to anonymously exchange information and support during their recovery.

How to Join

We take membership very seriously here. To keep discussions at the highest standard possible, we require that all members first read our official guide.

Click here to get yours, and we will send you a personal invitation to the forum, usually about one week after your purchase. We look forward to you joining us.

If you are a doctor or medical professional looking to get involved please contact us first.

Effects of L-Arginine Vs. Quercetin on Inflammation
  • R_J May 2011
    Hey guys.... this is my first post on this website. I am "RJ-dude" on the PEGym forum.

Anyway, I have a question: What effect does L-Arginine have on active inflammation? From what I understand, it is a precursor to the production of NO (Nitric Oxide). However, Nitric Oxide dilates the blood vessels... hence, an increase of blood flow to the tissues. But does this action adversely affect any active inflammation within the penis, prostate, scrotum, or pelvic floor? When one takes an anti-inflammatory (NSAID such as Naproxen), its mechanism in reducing inflammation consists of constricting the blood vessels. This would be the exact opposite action of NO producing L-Arginine supplementation. Also, for those of you that have a Varicolcele (like myself), L-Arginine may enlarge it further.

Also, for those of you with suspected pelvic floor dysfunction (CPPS).... you may want to look into supplementation of the herbal bioflavonoid "Quercetin". This may be a better option for those with inflammation anywhere in the pelvic region. From the book, "A Headache In the Pelvis":

"Quercetin was given to patients with chronic prostatitis/CPPS in a blinded fashion for one month. Patients taking the substance had their symptom scores decrease from 21 to 13 (67% improvement). This therapy seems to be well tolerated and offers significant symptomatic improvement in many men with chronic pelvic pain syndrome".

If you suspect that you may have a pelvic floor issue, its worth a shot. Can't hurt.
  • obitoo May 2011
    It is worth a shot, I agree. But folks should be aware that it may cause a loss of testosterone. For those of us who are battling low T, it's probably a no-no.
  • R_J May 2011
    Jeez.... I would have expected to see some comments by now. This could be a huge overlooked issue as far as inflammation is concerned. It would only make sense that using Nitric Oxide producing supplements (Including L-Arginine) would be contraindicated for someone with active inflammation. The reality is, longstanding inflammation will eventually produce a scar (tissue fibrosis)... and it would appear that NO would create an environment where inflammation would persist. I really think that one needs to eradicate inflammation first before the healing properties of NO are applied. C'mon guys.... what do you think? NO supplementation with/wo inflammation?
  • R_J May 2011
    obitoo said:

It is worth a shot, I agree. But folks should be aware that it may cause a loss of testosterone. For those of us who are battling low T, it's probably a no-no.

I would think that particular side affect would be minimal.... in any.
  • obitoo May 2011
    I'm not sure about L-Arginine contributing to fibrosis as it's one of thee go-to supplements that are administered when treating Peyronie's disease.
  • cad11591cad11591 May 2011
    I studied L-Arginine on WebMD and mayoclinic and stuff and it says that L-Arginine speeds up healing of tissue and increase blood flow, in my case, I had a bad bad infection which left some painful scarring and I think that those 2 benefits would actually be helpful for those who got this after an infection. Because there is most definitely a lack of bloodflow with the H.F. am I right?
  • obitoo May 2011
    I am avoiding it for now simply because I have a vAricocele that I am trying to keep under control. There are also recent studies showing that it lowers testosterone. I can't afford that at the moment. For those without those concerns I think it would be a good thing to try. I've never heard of it promoting fibrosis at all. Google is your best bet in this case. Start researching it all you can.
  • obitoo May 2011
    This study shows that is reduces inflammation on tissue. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18458097 and there is another on NIH that shows it also reduces endothelial inflammation as well.

If you search for "l-arginine fibrosis" you will find studies showing that it is beneficial in cystic fibrosis, but has been shown to increase fibrosis in the kidneys. Not sure if either of those are relevant to hard flaccid though.

I'm sure more can be found with a little digging.
  • R_J May 2011
    Ah well.... I don't know. This is one of those things that makes no sense to me. NSAID's such as Naproxen reduce inflammation by contricting the blood vessels (reducing blood flow)... and L-Arginine reduces inflammation by opening up the vessels (increasing blood flow). WTF? Those are exact opposite actions. It just doesnt make any sense to me. I can understand that increasing blood flow is good in promoting the healing process. But then again, there has to be a point at which the inflammation becomes chonic, which in turn must eventually result in scarring. It's beneficial up to a certain point... but once that point is reached, then destruction of healthy tissues ensues.
  • obitoo May 2011
    L-Arginine doesn't reduce inflammation by increasing blood flow. It's more the nitric oxide that is helpful. I think it just also happens to be a vasodilator.
  • R_J May 2011
    So wouldn't the nitric oxide production of L-Arginine make inflammation worse? (since it increases blood flow as a result of vasodialation). And yes, NO is a potent vasodialtor - which is why patients with angina pectoris (chest pain) use Rx Nitroglycerine sprays and tablets to open up the vessels, thus reducing the pain.
  • obitoo May 2011
    No idea man. All we can do is Google for reputable studies and try to choose wisely. If it makes you nervous then try do to everything but. There are plenty of other natural anti-inflammatories. Ginger root is a great one. I'm taking that.

From all the studies I can find, it seems L-Arginine would be helpful in our situation, especially considering it has been present in every reported cure lately.
  • Thomas May 2011
    In short, L-Arginine isn't an inflammatory on it's own. It just promotes blood flow which leads to healing any tissue damage. It's definitely beneficial.
  • R_J May 2011
    MTNN said:

In short, L-Arginine isn't an inflammatory on it's own. It just promotes blood flow which leads to healing any tissue damage. It's definitely beneficial.

What I don't understand is how something that promotes blood flow does not exacerbate pre-existing inflammation. It just goes beyond common logic. NSAID's make sense to me, as they constict the vessels to dampen then inflammatory response.
  • iggle24 May 2011
    RJ NSAIDs work by blocking the production of inflammatory cytokines through specific enzymes
  • I just wanted to bump this for clarification, I bought Quercetin and Bromelain a while back before joining this site..would this be safe to take? I found several studies saying it plays with DHT and estrogen balance.

Worth a shot? [-O<
  • obitoo July 2012
    Neither are going to have any effect on your condition. Save your money and time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Tagged